Dating when you have a child with disabilities


I had been single for 4 years I think so and the whole idea of dating was so far from my mind that I didn't want to put it in my back pack of worried.
So I lived my life AVOIDING any idea about having a partner any time soon. Had been tough ,specially Sundays,when every family is doing something fun and it is ONLY Tarek and me in a party or in the park. The FAMOUS question " CECY when you going to have a Boyfriend" comes more Often that I want, and I always smile and Said Soon.
Had been an amazing opportunity to have a real time after my divorce to find Myself again and understand WHAT I REALLY WANT FROM A PARTNER. Because I firmly believe that when you know what you want, it is easy to say to life " No thanks I pass, when it not the person"
I had learn from my past, I have take responsibility for what went good and bad in my marriage, I have learned my lesson and finally I can say I'm moving On.
But if you think that is very hard to date when you are single mother, it is even harder to date when you have a child with disabilities. But not because of Normal fears that I carry, but because Of the FEARS THAT SOME MEN CARRY with them.
I recently went out in a date. a very close friend had been bugging me for about a year to go out with one of her friends and I will always said NO until last month. when i said YES.
We talked for weeks before we went out. I will no denied that for instances I smiled jut thinking in the idea that was happiness behind those phone calls. and after weeks of texts,late phone calls,laughs, great conversation and translation difficulties we decided to go out. To make it short we had a great time in our date until he asked me about my son, and myself thinking that he already knew about Tarek , I told him that Tarek has Down syndrome........and then his face turn white...and 10 seconds later No eye contact for a few minutes when we were talking. OPS! I new in that moment that this will be My FIRST AND LAST DATE with that person. We keep it cordial for next hours,tryng to haryy the date to be over, texts come and go, and then NONE.....flat line....C'EST FINI!
So what I learned you might ask me
- To ask my friends that If they are going to introduce somebody to me , they have to tell them first about Tarek. It will save a lot of time and disappointment.
-Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens.
-That fears can be conquer one step at the time.
- and there is JERKS everywhere and you even been a single divorce mom with a child with DS you can say "NO THANKS I PASS and STILL FEEL REALLY GOOD AND HAPPY"
Love is there...A better future is soon to be found

Comments

Popular Posts